- Burton-upon-Stather -
For centuries the Trentside village Burton-upon-Stather was a bustling port on a busy river.
Steamers and ferries went back and forth from Hull and in 1315 it was developed as a trading port for North Lincolnshire complete with a market and two fairs.
In the last century the waters were packed with boats, which faded out after the advent of railways, but in the mid 1930s the wharf sprang back into life when a petroleum company built storage tanks there.
The company moved on during the Second World War and the wharf was in danger of falling into dereliction until BOS Shipping took over what is today known as Kings Ferry Wharf.
In the 19th and 20th Centuries bricks and tiles were made in Burton, and ironstone was mined at Thealby.
Parts of the village have been designated conservation areas, meaning the character of Burton has been retained.
The top two tourist spots are Burton Hills, regarded as one of the area's finest beauty spots, and St Andrew's Church.
And Normanby Hall Country Park, the historic home of the Sheffield family, is just one mile from Burton.
In 1987 the village pub The Sheffield Arms, once owned by the Sheffield family, celebrated its 300th anniversary.
It was sold by its former owners to Darley's of Thorne for £5,000 in 1930.
The pub stands at the head of High Street, which has a selection of shops.
Burton is also famed for its Dambusters connection. Sir Barnes Wallis, who invented the bouncing bomb, regularly stayed at The Ferry House Inn during the second World War to carry out top secret tests.
Burton is situated off the B1430.